Please be in prayer for Rev. Tom Brown, our Richmond Emmaus Spiritual Director. While on vacation in Myrtle Beach, he was taken to hospital yesterday with sciatica pain. Pray that he will improve quickly and enjoy the remainder of his vacation.
The Starfish Story, by Loren Eisley
One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean. Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”
The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”
“Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can’t make a difference!”
After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said, “I made a difference for that one.”
I first heard that story teaming on RC #14 and it has stayed with me. We are all called to “Make
a Difference.” We have the opportunity to do that with upcoming Gatherings and Upcoming Walks.
I hope to see you at our Aug 11th Community Gathering, which will be led by Richmond Chrysalis. Chrysalis is a vital ministry, and Richmond Chrysalis is in a period of restructuring. They can only do it with our support! Please plan on coming, and invite a friend and the youth from your church.
Also on August 11th, prior to Gathering, Fourth Day Training will be held at 3:30 in Room 103 at Bethia UMC.
Another opportunity is the upcoming Men’s Walk, RE 129, being held Oct. 11-14. Who has God laid on your heart to give the opportunity to attend? You can now submit your application online at http://richmondemmaus.com/forms/pilgrim-application-2/
I hope to see you at Gathering on Aug 11th. Remember we start at 6:00 pm with a covered-dish dinner. Invite a friend — as they say in Chrysalis, “Make a Friend, Be a Friend, Bring a Friend to Christ!”
Take Care and God Bless,
The men’s team for R-129 had their first teaming this past Friday. I’m late in sending this out, but the start of teaming came way too quickly! (Summer is flying, isn’t it????)
We need your help to make it easier for the men who are teaming — we are asking the Community to help provide them with meals on teaming nights. Since so many will be coming directly from work, and then serving for hours each Friday evening, providing a meal will allow them more time to spend preparing for the pilgrims.
Dinner doesn’t have to be fancy or homemade. They just need food, as they’ll be hungry! A main dish, some sides, and snacks or desserts would be appreciated. NO drinks, plates, napkins, silverware, etc. are needed — just food! Please prayerfully consider helping in this very important endeavor. It’s a great way to play a major part in the success of this Walk.
Grab a couple of friends, grab your reunion group, or just sign up to provide a meal for 25 men on a Friday night starting THIS Friday (we really need help this Friday!!!) through Friday, October 5th (except for Labor Day Friday). You can find a sign-up sheet by clicking here. Please add your name and email and I’ll be in touch. If you have others who will help you, please add their names as well.
Here are the details:
- Location: Bethia UMC (where Gatherings are held), 10700 Winterpock Rd., Chesterfield, VA 23832
- Time: Friday nights, starting at 6–6:15 pm. The Team asks that food be delivered by 5:45 if possible.
- Notes: crock pots are OK … but please plan so that nothing needs to be heated up. Disposable serving containers are best so that the Team has easy clean-up. You’ll need to make arrangements to pick up any items you need back. (A cooler is a great way to keep things cold or hot!)
Can you please help???? Let me know if you have any questions. If I’m in town, I’m happy to help … I won’t be around this Friday, but am hoping someone can jump in and provide dinner starting this week!
De Colores & Fly With Christ,
Carole Mitchell, R84
An updated schedule for the next Richmond Community Walks and Fourth-Day Training is available here. Remember — you must complete Fourth-Day Training to sponsor a Pilgrim or serve on a Conference Room Team!
God is so good, and He has brought us to a new location for fall 2018! A team for Richmond Men’s Walk 129 (October 11-14) is being formed, and YOU are needed! More information will be shared as we approach the weekend, but please consider prayerfully being a part of this weekend, either on the Inside or Outside Teams. (Men with all experience levels are needed for the Inside Team, and both men and women will be needed to serve on the Outside Team).
Experience required: You need to have attended 4th Day Training and be willing to serve where needed, with an open heart!
We prefer teaming applications be submitted online … but if necessary, you may print out an application and mail it to the address on the form. Applications may be found at www.richmondemmaus.com. Teaming applications beyond the number needed to fill the R-129 Team will be held for future walks.
Team Selection Committee
Here is a quick guide to the Richmond Emmaus Community’s website:
- About Emmaus — Here you’ll find information on the worldwide Emmaus movement, this year’s Community leadership and governing Board, and guiding policies for the Community.
- News — Updates are posted on the Bulletin Board page.
- Calendar — This is a month-view of scheduled events such as Walks and Gatherings and the daily prayer. (This information is also available via the Calendar-at-a-Glance tool.)
- Forms — Here are application forms for pilgrims/sponsors and teaming, as well as a Background Check Authorization form for those who will team for Chrysalis flights.
- Walks — Here is information on upcoming Walks and Fourth Day Training, as well as rosters and photos (where available) for previous Walks.
- Reunion Groups — This is a listing of current RVA reunion tables, grouped geographically.
- Venues — Address information and maps for our frequently-used locations.
- Links — Here are links to the Upper Room Emmaus website, Richmond Chrysalis, and other websites of interest.
- Contact Us — by our postal address or the available online form.
As new items are posted, our mailing list subscribers receive immediate email alerts — want to know what’s happening? Click the Subscribe button on the Home page!
I have the following request that will be of great help when praying for each of the walks. Please put the following Prayer Lists on the website:
Team Prayer List – to include NAME – TEAMING POSITION – TALKS
Pilgrim Prayer List – to include NAME – CHURCH – SPONSORS
This would be a great help while praying for the Walks, and for individuals involved by name.
Thanks and Many Blessings for Emmaus,
* * *
To which the Webmaster humbly says, “Amen.” Head Servants / AWLDs, I will gladly post this information for your Walks as quickly as I can get it.