My name is Kevin Hughes, and I am honored to be your Community Lay Director for 2020. January 2020 marks the start of a new year and a new decade, so Happy New Decade! Christmas is a glorious time of the year. We all feel the spirit regardless of our situations, more joy, optimism and love. What if we all were to take the Spirit of Christmas into each day of 2020?
My favorite part of our Christmas Eve service is at the conclusion. Our pastor takes the Christ Candle flame to start a chain reaction by lighting everyone’s candle in the room, one by one. You can imagine the light and glow as the last candles are lit!
On behalf of Dr. Shawn Holt, your Assistant Community Lay Director, and the entire Richmond Emmaus Board we would like to invite you to our first gathering of 2020: this Saturday, January 11th at Bethia United Methodist Church in Chesterfield. Come join us for fellowship and a covered-dish dinner starting at 6:00 pm, followed by music and worship at 6:30. Please bring a dish to share. Childcare will be provided by the Safe Sanctuaries® certified staff of Bethia UMC.
The men and women of Richmond 134 and 135 have started teaming for walks:
R-134 (Women’s): March 5-8, 2020 – Sarah Zammett, WLD
R-135 (Men’s): March 19-22, 2020 – Pete Tucker, WLD
Walks 134 and 135 — what a blessing! Thanks to those serving and to all who have served on the previous 133 walks. As I reflect on our legacy, it makes me think of Matthew 5:14 — “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.” Richmond Emmaus is built on a hill and has not been hidden! What if each of us followed the Christmas Eve service approach in 2020, took the light Christ gave us, and shared it with everyone we encountered each day. Oh what a bright and glorious day each day would be! How can we be that light for our community in 2020?
• Pray for God’s will for our community
• Not only come to the Gathering, but invite a friend
• Former Teamers, pilgrims and reunion groups — go back to your email list and invite everyone on it to come to Gatherings
• Pray about sponsoring a pilgrim for the walks above and later this year
• Bring your voice and/or instrument to be a part of the music worship team at one of 12 Gatherings this year
• Pray about sharing a devotion or 4th Day message at one of the Gatherings this year
• Sign up to serve a meal to the teams of Richmond 134 and 135
• Pray about serving on an Inside or Outside Emmaus Team in 2020
• Pray about serving on a Chrysalis Team and taking part in a much-needed Flight for our youth in 2020
• Pray about serving on a Kairos, Face to Face or Epiphany team in 2020
• Pray about your unique spiritual gifts and how you can best bless our community
• Ask myself or anyone on the Board how you can help, as there are many opportunities to serve for all
God Bless you! We look forward to a blessed and Christ-centered 2020, and look forward to seeing you this Saturday.